Translate

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bookworm?

Ni hao?
( a googler looking for mandarin chinese greetings is bound to stumble upon these words)
my topic for today is my new found ( found out 4 yrs ago) love for books!!!
Though I love reading. I'm writing 2 posts today for 2 reasons. One because I did not post for a long time. 2 because the book I was reading got over this morning. I finished reading it I mean! It was wonderful and now I have this emotional black hole in my abdomen.. Vacuumish, empty.. Like I don't know what to do with my remaining life anymore.
I wasn't always like this though.
In the days when myspace and orkut reigned over social networking kingdom, my profile's column for {Books I read} read something like " I don't read. I hate reading books. Oh so boring! Who reads outside school man? "
Who was I trying to kid.. I loved comics! And that counts as a book no?
No.
Apart from the few archie comics that mum had and a whole tsunami of tinkle comics I had practically read no book ( my text books don't count) till 8th grade.
My parents being avid readers(readers that forget they have a kid and just get lost into their bookworld ignoring the cries of their tiny offspring) have always forced me to read.. I believe part of it has got to do with the fact that we're Asians/Indians. And their personal favorite was Enid Blyton whose books they would shove into my cupboards so I'd read and rub it in that I've disgraced the family reading tradition and how they don't get how I have these non reader genes from parents who can't sleep without a book/ paper in their hands.
But as I was forced, being a stubborn( make that very very stubborn) kid given I'm a taurean and inheriting that quality from my mother(stubbornness I mean), I refused to read. I'd tried once ,just for the heck of it, I tried completing a famous five book. But I kept losing attention and even after bookmarking at proper intervals I just couldn't go with the flow so I stopped reading mid way. Probably she is an excellent writter, but her writing just did not click, I could never lose myself and hence I dropped the idea.
Half the people who ever will stumble upon this post would probably get out after reading what I said above.
Then came my sister who asked me try harry potter. Again, I was kind of pressurized. I didn't read a single page. Though now, I'm ready to give it a shot.
So how? Just how did this hater turn into a book lover?
I'll let you know Tomorrow. Else this post would be as long as an Indian daily soap.
 Zài jiàn.
-Appiqué<3

No comments: