Translate

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Safe over sorry.

Real small post.

My mom handed over her helmet to me today. As I was walking very aimlessly towards my house wearing it, I remembered what my dad said. "Helmets are so uncomfortable, you can't blame people for not wanting to wear them. You can make safety gear but you shouldn't force it upon people. It's a choice."

My dad is a law abiding citizen who uses helmets and safety belts,but that doesn't stop him from expressing how irritating it is to use those. Normally I would argue but this time I kept mum.

Now as I walking with it perched on top of my head I had this crazy urge to test it. So I did.

I purposely banged my head into walls, hit my head with my bare hands, palm, objects like a bottle. Oh my God! I know this is seriously stupid but I realized how sturdy they are. For minor falls, they can easily absorb the shocks and not let it translate to your skull. As far as major accidents are concerned, they can help reduce the effect. I mean you might already break a bone in the hand or leg, why would you want skull cracks to accrue.

They really help, all the safety gears. They're made for a reason. And for us our lives may not be a matter of concern. But there is atleast one person out there who cares about you and is dependent on you, emotionally, financially or in other ways.

If you can, you should try to use all that's available, all sorts  and means of protection.  Yes, accidents will happen; even if you are cautious and vigilant, you never know who on the road might screw up. So why not use what's available.

It's in our nature to critique and criticize everything. Whether you are Hitler or Gandhi, "haters are gonna hate!"
But it's time we mellow down and see the good in stuff. Helmets help. Good helmets.

And though you might look weird with one or feel uncomfortable, I guess it's better than how one would look with scars that'd last a life time and permanent disabilities.

-Appiqué <3

No comments: